1. How To Search – in the box, type words you want to find and click [Search]:
- Any Word: Just type one or more words to find any of the words.
- Exact Phrase: Surround an expression in double quotes (“…”). Punctuation must be the same to be found between words, for example “Galt, John”.
- All Words: Use Boolean operators (a plus or a minus sign) in front of each word or a quoted phrase: + includes words, – excludes words, for example +family +”home security” -personal
2. No wild cards (pound sign, asterisk, etc.) – trailing letters or symbols create separate new words.
3. Stop words have been removed – these cannot be retrieved:
- helping verbs (be, is, are, was, were, did, can, will, etc.)
- articles (a, an, the, that, each, both, neither, etc.)
- prepositions and conjunctions (at, on, in, for, between, etc.)
- wh- words (who, how, what, where, why, which, etc.)
- inquiry words (say, use, tell, show, want, mean, explain, etc.)
4. Capitalization doesn’t matter – upper and lower case produce the same results.
5. Ranked results come from a total match on the words and phrases you supply –
- think of several specific terms for your topic;
- try several searches to find which terms work best;
- be sure to spell words correctly;
- include plurals and derivatives [address addresses contact contacting inform information].
6. Boolean Search Examples:
|Query||Gets the documents with|
|home network||‘home’ or ‘network’ or both|
|“home network”||the phrase ‘home network’|
|+home +network||‘home’ and ‘network’|
|+home -network||‘home’ but not ‘network’|
|+service -”home network”||‘service’ but not ‘home network’|